Sunday, February 1, 2009

10 degrees and we are doing WHAT?




Ahhh the Plymouth ice festival.
After we got home I couldn't help but wonder... was it worth it?

As soon as the kids got up from nap, we dressed them in all their snow gear, kicking and screaming the entire time. Head to toe in cushiony water repellent fabric. Marisa crying the entire time. Nate telling us he didn't want to go ANYWHERE! Halfway through getting him dressed, brilliant me remembered that he hadn't gone pee. Which completely threw my husband off the deep end. Calling the whole thing a stupid idea, throwing boots around... to which my daughter just started laughing. I think it's actually quite hilarious when one of my kids laughs at Chris's hissy fits. It makes me smile, because I grew up experiencing those, and it's important to actually have perspective on how ridiculous it is for a grown adult to throw a fit. (Love you sweetie!)

Anyway, parked far away, huge crowd, freezing temps. Nate didn't even look at a thing, just looked like Nanook of the North the whole time. Marisa had a great time. She tried to run ahead, talked to everyone, but unfortunately kept taking off her gloves. This little act made our trip very short. One hour after we got out of the car, we were back in. Although we did manage to purchase a bag of cotton candy. Although we didn't do much of anything when we were there, but walk in a big circle and look at ice. I still felt victorious that we had made a trip out of the house in the winter. Truly a rarity for us. I was however really disappointed that the children didn't get much out of it.

UNTIL that night when Nate wanted to call his grandma. "Grandma! He said. Today I got cotton candy, and saw a dinosaur, and a castle and a BIG BEAR all made out of ice!"

Huh, he doesn't even know, he made my victory seem that much sweeter!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you getting out of the house. I can just picture it....

    ReplyDelete