Monday, January 4, 2010

Letters to Nate

Every year on Nate's birthday (or a few weeks/months afterwards) I write him a letter summarizing the year, hitting on key points and putting all those "firsts" into written words so I don't forget them when his wife asks me in 25 years. I've decided that they do me no good stored on my computer, so I'm going to post them all here. As they've progressed I've begun adding photos. You will see....

Dear Nate

Today you turn 1 year old. I can’t believe how fast this year has flown by!
I remember when we were holding you in the hospital and how you were so vocal from day one. As soon as we brought you home you began to “talk” and you haven’t stopped since. You used to lie under your play gym and coo and tell stories to the animals for such a long time. You talked to us, and you loved to sing songs. Itsy Bitsy Spider was one of your favorites.

You were so eager to accomplish things, wanting us to hold you so you could put your weight on your legs and “stand” at 4 weeks! You sat up at 5 months and rolled over about the same time. Your favorite food was green beans until we introduced bananas into your life. You love your bananas!

I couldn’t wait for you to crawl, and at 7 ½ months you finally did! Although I didn’t get to enjoy it very long before you started to take your first steps at 9 months. You loved to pull up on the tables and push around your car. You also LOVED getting into the dog food, and tearing apart Mama’s kitchen cabinets. One time you climbed in the refrigerator when it was open too long, and you were always in Nana’s cabinets at the lake.

Ahh the illness, you had ear infection after ear infection. Mommy and Daddy took you for your first emergency room visit at 4 months. It was very scary, but we found out you just had an ear infection. At 9 months you had surgery to put tubes in your ears, which seemed to really help you feel better.

Your birthday party was huge with about 40 people coming. You received lots of presents but I think your favorite gifts were the riding car and truck you got from your Nana and your Grandpa Bob.

For Halloween you dressed as a pumpkin and we went trick-or-treating at the mall with Drew who was also a pumpkin. You both fell asleep about 20 minutes in. We celebrated Christmas and you had a blast playing with the paper and laughing with Uncle Shaun. He really can crack you up!

You cried when we rode anywhere in the car, I think it was because you were tired of looking at the back of the seat. You loved throwing the ball for the dogs and you were fascinated by anything that played music.

You still carry around your striped blankie, and love taking a bath. You don’t like the way grass feels, and are mesmerized although scared of the vacuum. I loved when you learned how to wave as it started by opening and closing your hand, then the whole arm would move up and down. You have to be the most smiley baby, you smile at everyone and your great big belly laugh melts my heart. We call you our little peanut and you make us want to have more children.

Thank you for letting me get to know you, I feel so lucky. I love you very much,

Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment